Skip to content

AFD responds to Morningside dryer fire

Airdrie Fire Department (AFD) crews were dispatched to reports of a fire in an electric dryer May 27. According to a press release, firefighters responded to the call shortly before noon.
Airdrie Fire Department
Firefighters battled a blaze in a dryer May 27. File Photo/Airdrie City View

Airdrie Fire Department (AFD) crews were dispatched to reports of a fire in an electric dryer May 27.

According to a press release, firefighters responded to the call shortly before noon. Upon arriving at the scene in Morningside Manor, crews found smoke coming from a two-storey residential home.

Before firefighters arrived, two young residents, along with their cat and two dogs, managed to safely evacuate to the street.

"Before evacuating the home, one of the children attempted to extinguish the fire by applying multiple buckets of water," the release stated. "When she realized that it could not be controlled she calmly evacuated everyone from the house before contacting 911."

Upon entering the home, firefighters determined the fire was located in the home's laundry room and quickly extinguished the dryer fire.

A fire investigator with the department determined the fire was caused by a fault in an electrical appliance that ignited combustible materials.

No injuries were reported, but damage to the structure and its contents is estimated at $10,000.

"AFD reminds the public to ensure all appliances are inspected and maintained regularly," the release stated. "Clothes dryers should be vented properly and the lint trap should be cleaned after each load of clothes has been dried."




Comments


Airdrie Today Staff

About the Author: Airdrie Today Staff

Read more