A structure fire in the Cooper's Crossing community June 4 resulted in several thousand dollars worth of damage, according to a press release issued by the Airdrie Fire Department (AFD).
AFD crews arrived on scene at approximately 9:20 a.m. to find neighbours using a garden hose to battle a small fire on the front, attached deck of a two-storey residence on Cooperstown Place SW, the release stated. Firefighters quickly extinguished what remained of the fire before using a thermal imaging camera to confirm that heat and smoke had not extended into the interior of the home.
According to the release, light smoke conditions were detected throughout the home, which was then ventilated and air quality monitoring completed.
While AFD reported no injuries, preliminary damage to the property is estimated to be approximately $5,000. The Fire Prevention Bureau has determined the cause of the fire to be improper disposal of smoking material, according to the release.
"AFD reminds the public that all smoking materials must be disposed of properly," said Deputy Chief Garth Rabel in the release. "Clean, non-combustible ashtrays should always be available where people gather to smoke. Cigarette butts should never be disposed in containers of plant material or thrown from windows of automobiles."