As the holiday season hits its stride with the message of gift-giving and goodwill, that mainstay of reader-led book recommendations, Goodreads, has put out its annual essential holiday reading list.
The Airdrie Public Library (APL), doesn’t support one reading list over another – and there are many out there – but we found this one to be of note. The list includes books set during a holiday season or celebrates something about a particular holiday.
If you’re looking for a picture book for your children, stories about dysfunctional extended families or a steamy under-the-mistletoe romance, the Goodreads list has it all. And, they’re all available as audiobooks.
• A Christmas Carol, by Charles Dickens
• How the Grinch Stole Christmas, by Dr. Seuss
• The Night Before Christmas, by Applesauce Press, illustrated by Charles Santore
• The Polar Express, published by HMH Books for Young Readers
• My True Love Gave to Me: Twelve Holiday Stories, edited by Stephanie Perkins
• Let it Snow: Three Holiday Romances, published by Penguin
• Skipping Christmas: A Novel, by John Grisham
• The Best Christmas Pageant Ever, by Barbara Robinson, illustrated by Laura Cornell
• Holidays on Ice, by David Sedaris
• The Christmas Train, by David Baldacci
• Dash & Lily’s Book of Dares, by Rachel Cohn and David Levithan
• The Christmas Box, by Richard Paul Evans
• Winter Street, by Elin Hilderbrand
• The Gift of the Magi and Other Short Stories, by O. Henry
• The Stupidest Angel: A Heartwarming Tale of Christmas Terror, by Christopher Moore
If you have a book lover in your family, these recommendations should help and, with your free library card and APL’s curbside pick-up service, you can check that one off your gift list.
Please note, the library’s customer service is closed from Dec. 25 to 28 and Jan. 1, but is always open online.
For more information on library services and programs visit airdriepubliclibrary.ca